Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Lost Art; Album Artwork

Greensboro, NC -- When I downloaded the latest version of iTunes last night, I felt as though I finally caught up with the times. I had been using version 6.9 or something like that because I couldn't figure out how to turn off this overprotected popup blocker on my computer. If you have iTunes version 8.0, you'll notice that the program organizes your music by album, and not by song anymore. The albums are identified by the front cover, or if you want to be fancy, the "inset sleeve." One can surely determine that some artists take a considerable amount of time in planning their album cover. I've noticed over time that album covers have become a lost art. Nowadays, you'll only see a frontal photo of the band or singer. I miss the days of some colorful and tasteful artwork on the covers. So, let me unveil my all-time favorite album covers. You can click on the name of the album below to see what I'm referring to. And, while you're at it, please add your own favorites so that I can check them out. I only want albums which exemplify nifty artwork.
  • U2 -- Achtung Baby -- I once met somebody who had the U and 2 rings on this cover.
  • Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Into the Great Wide Open -- My parents always had this album resting on top of their stereo.
  • Nirvana -- Nevermind -- A popular favorite among Bistro readers.
  • Green Day -- Dookie -- One of the first albums I ever bought; the meticulous cartoon-esque setting is pretty cool with the inclusion of Dookie.
  • Pink Floyd -- The Dark Side of the Moon -- One of, if not the most, recognizable album covers of all-time.
  • Prince -- Purple Rain -- Popular because of the movie.
  • The Go-Go's -- Beauty and the Beat -- This album cover was recommended to me by a woman.
  • Nick Drake -- Pink Moon -- Off beat; yes. Original; no.
  • Talking Heads -- Little Creatures -- Talking Heads always have great album covers.
  • The Rolling Stones -- Sticky Fingers -- Had to include a black n' white cover.
  • Duran Duran -- Rio -- Had to include an album from my YOB.
  • Elton John -- Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy -- The name of the album is as unusual as its cover.
  • Kiss -- Creatures of the Night -- Great cover (yes, it includes facials), but it completely depicts the name tastefully.

As an addendum to this blog, check out Trivia Tim's latest entry about how an album is recorded. Maybe, as an addition to this entry, he could include how the album artwork was selected and developed. The cover of his latest album is featured in this entry.

4 comments:

JasonB said...

No Beatles???? Your Bistro readers are not happy!

Unknown said...

Which album? Abbey Road?

Scorp said...

Abbey Road, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper... Any of those would have been awesome!

Don't forget both Destroyer and Love Gun from KISS, those are beautifully drawn. All 4 solo album covers were beautifully drawn as well. And the humor of Unmasked.

Trivia, the original Sticky Fingers actually included a zipper on the album cover. Special Edition CDs had pleather and zipper cover at one time, too.

I'll have to think of some more and get back to you. I'll think on the album cover for HS as well.

Brendan said...

I would nominate any Rush album with art by Hugh Syme. Fantastic Stuff. Take Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves as prime examples.

Also, each of Wire's first 3 albums (Pink Flag, Chairs Missing, 154) has awesome artwork. Other post-punk classics include Closer by Joy Division and Real Life or Secondhand Daylight by Magazine.

We can't forget Surfer Rosa by the Pixies, especially since it has tits on the cover.

What about the New York Dolls' debut album? Every 80's cock rock band from Motley Crue to Warrant copied the Dolls' look.