Thursday, January 3, 2008

In with the new (year)

Greensboro, NC -- I haven't "blogged" all year. That's the running joke during this first week of the year... I haven't done so n' so "in a year." At B's Bistro, we like to combine the best of music and sports, specifically focusing on sports in the Southeast. To celebrate the new year, I thought of some tunes that would help us transition into a fresh, new start. Let's do all songs and bands that feature the word, "new" in them... because 2008 will be nothing short of great.
  • U2 - "New Year's Day" - The first song that I hear every year (on purpose). My favorite bar in Winston-Salem jammed this song out at the stroke of midnight. Well done!
  • Paolo Nutini - "New Shoes" - The lyrics are simple, but I can see this song being a very catchy and big hit.
  • New Radicals - "You Get What You Give" - The definition of a "one hit wonder." This particular song rocked the airwaves in the late 90's/early 2000's.
  • Beck - "The New Pollution" - How does Beck write lyrics with words that have nothing in common, yet rhyme so beautifully?
  • The Shins - "New Slang" - 9 out of 10 people would say that they've never heard of this song, and probably 8 out of those 9 have heard of this popular hit.
  • Inxs - "New Sensation" - IMO; quickly becoming one of the most underrated bands. Bono loves Michael Hutchense's work as they were friends.*
  • Ryan Adams - "New York, New York" - A "guilty pleasure" song.
  • New Bohemians via Edie Brickell - "What I Am" - Did you follow the connection there?
  • Sting - "Brand New Day" - Did you know that Stevie Wonder plays the harmonica on this tune? This song is very well done and definitely flys under the radar.
  • Duran Duran - "New Moon on Monday" - Similar to Inxs, I wasn't really into this band growing up, but now I'm a full fledged fan.

* Brendan Magee once told me to listen to bands that your favorite artists grew up listening to. As a hardcore U2 fan, The Ramones and The Beatles would come into play, and I enjoy their music. As I mentioned before, with Bono and Michael Hutchense being good friends before Hutchense's death, I can now see why I'm an Inxs fan.

No comments: